Monday, June 15, 2009

Their Lives Our Voices





Just got back from the TLOV (Their Lives Our Voices) conference in Minneapolis. (My old stomping grounds).


Flew from NC to MPLS for the weekend of tabling, speaking and seeing my oldest friends.

TLOV was fabulous. Got to finally meet my email and cell phone buddy Colleen Patrick Goudreau (compassionatecooks.org) and got to hang out with some of the best vegan activists on the planet. Heard Nathan Runkle for the first time...one of the best AR speakers I have ever listened to. My plan was to just look in on his talk because I was busy with other things at my table..but, an hour later I found myself still sitting, totally engaged.

My old Minnesota/Wisconsin friends actually came to the talks I led on Sunday. They worked their butts off at my table and took me out for dinner. It was the first time I felt like my being vegan was not something they thought was too foreign to ask about or want to think about. I was so moved by their curiosity and genuine interest in this new possibility. That was the biggest gift of the weekend. This work, this lifestyle practice that is at my core became a connection point rather than a distancing fence between me and my loving friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment