Raw Potluck Recipe Gets Ooohs and Aaahs Every Time!
People cannot get enough of it. It is the Raw Not-Chips that surprise everyone!
Not-Chips and Guacamole
Make your favorite guacamole recipe.
For those of you who need a recipe for the guacamole, here is a yummy one. (I do not like pre-made quacamole you can get in tubs in the store. There is nothing like FRESH avocados.)
- 4 avocados
- 1 large tomato
- 2 teaspoons salt
- freshly ground pepper
- juice of 1/2 small lemon
- juice of 1/2 small lime (do not substitute bottled lemon or lime juice!)
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- Cut avocados in half, remove seed, then scoop out fruit into a medium bowl.
- Mash avocados with a large utensil until they are at a slightly creamy, but still rustic consistency
- Chop tomatoes into small cubes
- Add tomatoes, salt, pepper, lemon juice, lime juice and chopped cilantro to avocados and stir well
- Add more salt and pepper and cayenne to taste
Now that your guacamole is made....Slice fresh uncooked organic yams or sweet potatoes. (You can use any of the mandoline style slicers or a knife and a steady hand.
I use the Benriner slicer and adjust it to the thickness I want my yam not-chips to be.)
(I prefer to leave the skins on the slices)
Slice your yams (or sweet potatoes) just thick enough to hold up to the quacamole dipping and arrange them around the guacamole. That is it. Do not cook the yams. Do not slice them too far in advance because they will dry out. Just before serving is best. Dipping these slices of raw yam into the guacamole is crunchy perfection.